Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Blogger's Quilt Festival, Spring 2014 #2

As I've mentioned before, we live in a military town.  So, there's lots of moving in and moving out.  Glass half empty - all your friends eventually move :( Glass half full - but there are always new ones moving in! :)
One of my favorite friends ever moved away last year.  I had every intention of making her a quilt before she left, but I was a little busy growing a baby.  And trying my best not to kill to help my older three children survive the summer with a terminally pregnant mom.  It was a long summer.  With a super cute reward at the end.
Anyway, I got a little behind on my sewing and didn't finish it until earlier this year.  Amy came down to visit last month, so I got to give it to her in person.

Last year, before Amy moved, we made a baby quilt together for a mutual friend.  We pretty much copied this quilt.  Bonnie and Camille's Ruby line plus aqua = awesomeness.  Plus, the baby's name was Ruby.  Of all the baby quilts we have made together (at least fourteen!), this was Amy's favorite one. 

So when it came time to make Amy's quilt, I remade it one more time, this time using half of a layer cake (left over from my daughter's quilt).  And once again, Ruby plus aqua = awesomeness.  Seriously.
For the quilting, I mixed things up a little (for me, anyway).  I went with a traditional 1/4" on either side of the seams in the pieced portions. 
But on the aqua sections, I quilted an orange peel design.  I love how it turned out!
For the backing, I used two of my favorite prints from the line, with a pieced portion using extra pieces from the front. 
Have I mentioned how much I love Ruby???
You can't go wrong with a good sundae scallop for the binding.
Everything about this quilt makes me happy - the recipient, the fabric, the simple layout that does such a great job of showing off the fabric, you get the idea.  Now I just need to make myself a quilt with all the Ruby I've hoarded stashed.
Thanks for stopping by, and go enjoy all the other lovely quilts at the Blogger's Quilt Festival!
AmysCreativeSide.com

3 comments:

amylouwhosews said...

I'm feeling the love!!! And I LOVE this quilt! And loved all of out collaborations!!! Really, 14!?

CitricSugar said...

Ah, Ruby - such a great line! And I think because everyone has done such different things with it..

Great work!

Haylee said...

Beautiful!